On this 72nd Independence Day, we have compiled some of the important facts aboutCounter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School (CIJWS)ofIndia. Henceforth it is one of the world famous army training school in the world.
Under the guidance of the legendary Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw the Counter-Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School (CIJWS) was first set up in Mynkre, near Jowai in Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya.Later, in 1968, it was renamed as Eastern Command Counter Insurgency Training School. Then, in 1970, it was relocated to Vairengte, a town in the Kolasib district of Mizoram.
The motto of this training center is to “fight the guerrilla like a guerrilla”. Therefore, it is one of the premier training and research establishment of the Indian Army that specializes in counterinsurgency and guerrilla warfare.
Originally, it was planned by the Government of India to train soldiers to counter Mizo militancy in the 1960s.
Here are following facts about CIJWS of India on Independence Day
1. Firstly, Brigadier Mathew Thomas was appointed as the Commandant of CIJWS.
2. Secondly, the school provides an added variety of training elements such as identifying improvised explosive devices (IED), jungle survival, counter-terrorism, and interrogation techniques.
3. Primarily, the troops are trained to live in hostile terrain, attack ferociously and silently like guerrillas and also sleep and eat like them.
4. The soldiers are trained counter-ambush skills where they are also taught to remain undetected as possible in the forests. So, jungle craft for testing the limits of the soldiers are infamous.
5. The soldiers are trained in the most natural environment of the jungle where they are taught to analyze the characteristics of dense vegetation with limited visibility. The heavy cross compartmentalization, streams, rivers, heat & humidity, and other aspects such as difficult tracks and limited communication are the major challenges that they need to excel.
6. Every year, more than 7000 soldiers from paramilitary forces, police services and international armies are trained.
7. The soldiers not only need to excel in physical and tactical aspect but also they are trained in overall war IQ development with the help of group discussions, case studies and sand model exercises.
8. In the parameter of soldier behavioural research, the training center boasts of the best war training facilities with 13 fire ranges and competent instructors who are war veterans.
9. For this reason the academy receives armies from United States, Singapore, Nepal, Bhutan, Russia, United Kingdom, Israel, France and Bangladesh who come over for training.
10. A three-week anti-insurgency combat training was imparted to100 elite US commandos in 2003. It was code-named Balance Iroquois. The US Special Forces and the Indian Special Forces underwent an intensive exercise. For jungle survival, they were trained to feed on venomous vipers, dogs and monkeys as part of military exercises to sharpen their skills in jungle survival and combat.
11. Armies from different countries which include United States, Singapore, Nepal, Bhutan, Russia, United Kingdom, Israel, France and Bangladesh enrolled to attain training from one of the best academies.
It is indeed a matter of pride for a nation to have such a training academy where the veterans from different countries of the world come to train themselves. Hence, it shows that India is independent enough to save its territory from enemies and is proficient enough to counter in all geographical spheres. Accordingly, the armies can resist in all situation like dessert, mountain, sea or jungles. Indian defence system is powerful. Happy Independence Day! JAI HIND!!!!!