Hinduism is an intricate religion to understand unless one has grown up being a Hindu. With so many traditions and deities forming part of it, this also makes one of the most exciting religions in the world. So, today we are here to tell you some interesting unknown facts about this religion.
18 unknown facts about Hinduism
- Hinduism is not the actual word for the religion. Greeks and Arabs give the word Hinduism to the people living near the river Sindhu. However, the real name for Hinduism is Sanātana Dharma which means “eternal dharma”, or eternal truth.
2. Hinduism is the world’s 3rd largest religion after Christianity and Islam. However, unlike the top two religions, 95% of Hindus live in India.
3. Hinduism believes that there is only one God but in many forms. The people choose which form they want to follow.
Hinduism believes the time cycle has four main periods
4. According to Hindu religion, the time cycle has four main periods – the Satya Yuga, Tretha Yuga, Dwapara Yuga and Kali Yuga. Moreover, this religion believes that in the last cycle, people get so filthy that the whole thing is cleaned up and the period starts all over again.
5. Hinduism is also the parent religion for two of the other major religions – Buddhism and Sikhism. Not only this, it is also closely associated with its sister religion – Jainism.
6. The four main life-goals of Hinduism is Dharma, Artha, Kama, and Moksha. Dharma means righteousness, Artha means money, Kama means desire and Moksha is the salvation.
7. Hindus believe that the ultimate purpose of life is to attain self-realisation or enlightenment that is called Moksha in Sanskrit. It accepts the idea that anyone from any religion can achieve salvation through devotion, and meditation. Instead of separating this religion from others, they have opened themselves up to all.
8. Vedas, Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, Mahabharat and 18 Puranas are explicitly the most important books in Hinduism.
9. The most common language for Hindu scriptures is Sanskrit which is also the oldest language in the Universe.
Hinduism believe in reincarnation
10. Hindus believe in reincarnation. It holds that the soul is immortal but takes on the form of many bodies until they achieve enlightenment.
11. The word ‘karma’ derives from the Hindu concept of Good or bad deeds.
12. Hindus preserve the Vedas for over 5,000 years without the use of printing. This was done by memorisation.
13. Hinduism doesn’t have a founder or a prophet (like Moses, Abraham, Jesus, Mohammad or Buddha). According to Hindus, the religion has no origin.
14. Hindu people consider ‘Om’ to be the subtle sound of the Universe that can be heard in deep meditation.
15. Pranayama, Yoga, Meditation, Vastu, Jyotish, Tantra, Astrology are huge contributions to the world and have become extremely popular in the west.
16. The Kumbh Mela which is the spiritual gathering of people every three years is undoubtedly the largest gathering of human beings in the world.
17. There are three essential sects in Hinduism: Shaiva, Shakti, and Vaishnava. The Hindu followers pray all three sects collectively worshipping Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu and Devi.
18. This religion is the dominant one in many regions such as Bali, Nepal, Mauritius, and Sri Lanka and also in the major parts of Southeast Asia – Indonesia, Cambodia and Malaysia.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.