Children’s Day in India is celebrated every year on November 14, in the memory of the first prime minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, who was born on this day in 1889.
Fondly known as Chachaji, Jawaharlal Nehru, was known for his love for children. He always supported children to have a fulfilled childhood and acquire high education. Many times he stated that he may not have time for adults but has enough time for children.
Nehru had said, “The children of today will make the India of tomorrow. The way we bring them up will determine the future of the country.”
On this day, across the country, parents and teachers usually distribute chocolates and gifts among children, while schools arrange multiple events such as competitions, music and dance performances to commemorate the Day. Sometimes, teachers also take part in these events to demonstrate their love and affection.
Also, many non-political organisations distribute gifts like clothes, toys and books to orphan children on Children’s Day.
However, he has a profound vision for the development of young people. So, he played a vital role in the setting up of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, or AIIMS, and the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT). Furthermore, he also began the establishment of the Indian Institutes of Management.
Jawaharlal Nehru had left behind a legacy of education and development for children. Once, on the eve of India’s Independence, he rendered “We have to build the noble mansion of free India where all her children may dwell,” which became very popular and is often cited.
Let us remember these lines and celebrate the spirit of the erstwhile leader on this Day. Happy Children’s Day to you!
Here are a few thoughtful quotes by Nehru for children-
1. Children are like buds in a garden and should be carefully and lovingly nurtured, as they are the future of the nation and the citizens of tomorrow. – Jawahar Lal Nehru
2. Peace is not a relationship of nations. It is a condition of mind brought about by a serenity of soul. Jawahar Lal Nehru
3. Peace is not merely the absence of war. It is also a state of mind. Lasting peace can come only to peaceful people. – Jawahar Lal Nehru
4. Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will. – Jawahar Lal Nehru
5. What we really are matters more than what other people think of us. – Jawahar Lal Nehru
6. You can tell the condition of a nation by looking at the status of its women. – Jawahar Lal Nehru
7. At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom. A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance. – Jawahar Lal Nehru
8. Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the whole system. – Jawahar Lal Nehru
9. Ignorance is always afraid of change. – Jawahar Lal Nehru
10. Politics and Religion are obsolete. The time has come for Science and Spirituality. – Jawahar Lal Nehru