Buddha Purnima, a pious day which is the birthday of Gautama Buddha. 2600 years ago, Lord Buddha, who had given life transforming quotes, was born in Lumbini near the border of Nepal and India. He was born a prince to a royal warrior family and named Siddharth Gautama. But soon he left all comfort and went out for a spiritual journey.
As he was supposed to be the next king of his kingdom, his family prevented to see the unsatisfactory nature of the world. But one day he went out of his palace and witnessed miseries all around where he had no way to provide refuge. Then he met a meditator who sat in deep absorption.
When their eyes met and their minds linked, Siddhartha stopped, mesmerized. In a flash, he realized that the perfection he had been seeking outside must be within consciousness itself. Meeting that man gave the future Buddha a first and enticing taste of mind, a true and lasting refuge, which he knew he had to experience himself for the good of all.
Buddha achieved inner happiness
Then one day he secretly stepped out of his palace and went into the forest. After a long spiritual search, he went into deep meditation, where he realized the nature of mind. He then achieved the state of genuine and lasting happiness: the state of enlightenment. For the rest of his life, Buddha taught anyone who asked how they could reach the same state.
Lord Buddha is the founder of one of the world’s great philosophies, which we call Buddhism. This philosophy has indeed inspired countless people through the ages.
So, here we have compiled some of his best quotes that will inspire you to overcome all obstacles in life.
Buddha Quotes On Life:
1. Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
2. To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise, we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
3. What we think, we become.
4. Do not dwell in the past; do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
5. Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
6. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
7. Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
8. It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
9. Understanding is the heartwood of well-spoken words. Understanding is the heartwood of well-spoken words.
10. “Avoid evil deeds as a man who loves life avoids poison.”
11. Speak the only endearing speech, speech that is welcomed. Speech, when it brings no evil to others, is a pleasant thing.
12. To support mother and father, to cherish partner and children, and to be engaged in peaceful occupation — this is the greatest blessing.
13. Whatever has the nature of arising has the nature of ceasing.
Inspiring Buddha Quotes
14. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection
15. Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
16. A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.
17. In the end, these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?
18. If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another.
19. Until he has unconditional and unbiased love for all beings, man will not find peace.
20. “True love is born from understanding.”
21. “Some do not understand that we must die, But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.”
22. “Even loss and betrayal can bring us awakening.”
23. Those who are truly wise will remain unmoved by feelings of happiness and suffering, fame and disgrace, praise and blame, gain and loss. They will remain calm like the eye of a hurricane.
Buddha quotes to change your life
24. The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests as the deed. The deed develops into habit. And the habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care. And let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings.
25. Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.
26. “The man who foolishly does me wrong, I will return him the protection of my most ungrudging love; and the eviler comes from him, the better shall go from me.”Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.”
27. “In our lives, change is unavoidable; the loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom.”
28. “On life’s journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him.”
29. “To support mother and father, to cherish wife and children, and to be engaged in peaceful occupation — this is the greatest blessing.”
Life quotes from Buddha
30. “There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. Doubt is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.”
31. “All conditioned things are impermanent” – when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering.
32. “Happiness can never come to those who fail to appreciate what they have.”
33. “There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.”
34. “When you dig a well, there’s no sign of water until you reach it, only rocks and dirt to move out of the way. You have removed enough; soon the pure water will flow.”
35. “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.”
36. “Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.”
37. “Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.”
38. “However many holy words you read, However many you speak, What good will they do you If you do not act on upon them?”
39. “If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.”
40. “Just as a solid rock is not shaken by the storm, even so, the wise are not affected by praise or blame.”
41. “Give, even if you only have a little.”
42. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
43. They blame those who remain silent, they blame those who speak much, they blame those who speak in moderation. There is none in the world who is not blamed.”
Life transforming Buddha quotes
44. “Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace.”
45. A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.
46. “Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.”
47. “Happiness can never come to those who fail to appreciate what they have.”
48. “They blame those who remain silent, they blame those who speak much, they blame those who speak in moderation. There is none in the world who is not blamed.”
49. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
50. “A disciplined mind brings happiness.”